Friday, September 14, 2012

Inspired by Atoms and the Elements

We spent this week immersed in the anatomy of the atom.  But have you ever wondered about the atoms that are in your anatomy?  Your body is composed of a huge number of atoms, all working together to make biological molecules that, when put together in just the right way, make you into a living-breathing person.  Where do all those atoms come from?  It is interesting to consider that nearly all the atoms that are in your body get replaced every year.  So, in essence, you're literally not the person you were just last year because all of your atoms have been replaced by other Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen atoms that you have ingested or inhaled or rubbed up against.

Take a look at this cool video I found that illustrates the connections you have with the stars.

We Are Star Dust

I gave you a brief introduction to the periodic table using ptable.com (my favorite website).  Who can help but be inspired by the layers of information contained in this chemistry icon.   A friend of mine sent me the link for a fun iPad app called Nova Elements.  You can play a game called Essential Elements where you build atoms and molecules of common substances from subatomic particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons).  There's another awesome interactive periodic table to explore on the app too.  You'll also find a video, that I must confess I haven't watched yet.  Take a look if you have an iPad. (it's a free app!)

Nova element app

Let me know what you think about the video, the app, or another interesting site you have found related to the atom or the periodic table.  Or, you can post your favorite element and why.

13 comments:

  1. the video about the universe was really interesting. Strange to think that we are "stardust" which creeps me out, but i found it really interesting. the images showing the universe in connection to humans was really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, you get the award for the first post of the week! I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I agree that it's a little creepy to think about the star dust connection.

      Delete


  2. I thought that the video was very interesting. It's weird how when you look into the sky during the night, you see stars that have already died out. Then it's weird to think that those stars are a part of you. This movie gives a good explanation on how we truely are "part of the universe."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video was interesting. Especially the part about how the atoms that make up the human body are traceable to those of stars. It is weird to think that we are star dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the video was a cool way to demostrate the relationship of how we are connected to the universe. I have never really thought about it before but it makes me question what my body is really made of and how that makes it function the way it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cant watch the video it's blocked

    ReplyDelete
  6. the video was blocked so i wasn't able to watch it

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite element Neon for two reasons. The first is because neon is just a awesome name for an element. The second is because of the different uses, such as neon lights which are made by pumping neon gas in glass tubes and mixing them with other gases to make different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh,

      I like neon too. It feels very "other worldly" and very common all at the same time.

      Delete
  8. The video deffinitly grabbed my attention. It actually made me want to watch it cause it was a catchy song. Its cool to think that i am dust....but also have a star....It was pretty cool to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The video was a new and exciting way to learn something and I thought the repetition of the song made the information stick more with me. The song is very catchy and now I will remember the message of the song. It is weird to think that we are actually stardust, I have never even considered what we might actually be made up of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't enjoy the video because I felt it made the topic too hard to understand. The thought that we come from stardust is something that deserves a serious explanation but when the video was transformed into a song I felt that it made things too hard to understand and it was very hard to follow the video. As to the content of the video, it is weird to think about how we're made up of "stardust" but I couldn't understand the explanation as well because of how the video was structured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick,

      You're right that the idea begs for more details. The song was just a teaser to make you think. I'll look for a better explanation of this stardust idea for next week.

      Delete