Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Element Song- A Must See for all GeyerChem-ers

Chemistry is all about the elements.  You are now the proud owner of your own color coded periodic table, and you have experienced my favorite website ptable.com.  I think you're ready for the element song.

Tom Lehrer, a musician and comedian, wrote the element song in 1959.  In the lyrics, Lehrer recites the names of all the known elements (up to 102 in 1959).  The video shows images of the actual elements as the names are sung.  You'll love it, or at least find it mildly amusing in a science-geek sort of way.


Here's a link to the lyrics, and you can make the element song your ring tone!

Element Song Lyrics

11 comments:

  1. i found this really interesting. it was really catchy and a good way to memorize the elements if you wanted to. really cool to see everything put into a song

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually a really cool song and if you listened to it for like 15 minutes you'd probably be able to memorize it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear that I have heard this before! I can't remember where but the guy's voice is pretty darn unique so I'm sure I have, I wish I could remember where. Anyways, it's a cute song and I think what's cool about it, instead of helping you memorize the lyrics, is that it shows you what the element actually looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was really catchy, it gets stuck in your head. It could be really helpful when trying to memorize the elements. Also, it was helpful because it showed examples of each element.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the video was really cool. I agree with Nick, I was trying to figure out where I have heard this song before and I think it was at the end of our summer assignment video. Anyways, it was really nice that it gave examples of each element and didn't just list them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good song to help you remember all the elements of the periodic table. By creating a song it allows me to easily figure out what element i am looking out just by singing it in my head. Overall a good song.
    - Josh Liebhaber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely have heard this before! Its such a good way to learn the periodic table!!! its very clear on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember hearing this song before in a science class at my old school!! I really like songs and catchy clever things like this because they help me learn more. This is a different way to learn about the periodic table and all the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a good song to help memerize the periodic table. it was good

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this song, it's catchy and helps. I think it was at the end of the video we had to watch over the summer.

    ReplyDelete